A Guide To Pet Friendly Accommodation In New Zealand
Going on holiday is expensive enough without having to put your best friend into kennels and let’s be honest, you and your pet can't stand the idea of being apart over the holidays anyway.
Enter the good news! Our guide to pet friendly holiday hotels, motels, lodges, holiday homes, caravan parks and campgrounds in New Zealand.
North Island Pet Friendly Accommodation
Ohana Lodge – Taupo
- Ohana Lodge is a modern 3 bedroom holiday home in beautiful Taupo with a fully fenced lounging deck.
- We recommend visiting the Spa Park - this off leash walk follows the Waikato River and ends at the popular tourist attraction, Huka Falls. It’s a 6.7km return walk so don’t forget to carry water for you and your pet.
Pacific Harbour Villas - Tairua
- Pacific Harbour Villas offers island style stand alone villas on the shores of the Tairua Harbour.
- Their villas are pet friendly all year round and are open to all breeds and sizes.
- We recommend climbing to the top of Mount Paku with your dog. Just be careful this walk is only 30 minutes walk but has some steep rocky sections.
Jet Park Airport Hotel – Auckland
- Jet Park Hotel takes being a pet friendly hotel to the next level with pawesome pet stay rooms.
- Their rooms have tiled floors for easy clean-up, a pet bed with a duvet, blankets and sheets, food, a water bowl and pet treats. These rooms will ensure your 'whole' family is comfortable and happy.
- They also have a huge field on the property to exercise your pet, plus a separate entrance to bring your pet in/out of the hotel.
Tarata Fishaway Lodge – Taihape
- Tarata Fishaway Lodge has a gorgeous dog friendly lodge unit.
- Their unit is equipped with a fully fenced courtyard and a 5-star dog kennel. They also allow pets inside the unit to relax in your lounge area.
- There is also a range of awesome activities for thrill seekers like dog friendly river rafting!
Waitangi Holiday Park - Waitangi
- Waitangi's most centrally located Holiday Park in the Bay of Islands is also pet friendly.
- Their policy reads: “Dogs are welcome in this Holiday Park. We’ve never had a dog that stole our towels and played the TV too loud or had a noisy fight with his drunken companion. So, if your dog can vouch for you, you’re welcome too!”
Sounds good to us
Whitestar Station/Colville Farm - Coromandel
- This is a 1,260 hectare sheep and cattle farm, 30 minutes drive north of Coromandel Town.
- They offer pet friendly self contained houses, bush lodges and an on site caravan.
- There are many pet friendly activities such as swimming in the creek, bush walks to see waterfalls and range walks with the opportunity to see glow worms too.
South Island Pet Friendly Accommodation
Fino Hotel & Suites – Christchurch
- This Christchurch based hotel offers pet friendly accommodation to all animals under 50kgs.
- They have three specific pet friendly hotel rooms reserved for people travelling with their beloved pets and even offer dog walking and pet sitting services to their four legged customers.
Lake Outlet Holiday Park - Wanaka
- A pet friendly holiday park in a secluded setting about 6km from Wanaka town centre.
- The owners believe pets are as much a part of the family as anyone else and for this reason, well socialised dogs are welcome at Lake Outlet Holiday Park.
- There are lots of pet friendly walks in the area such as the Mount Iron loop which is a 1.5 hour loop track that offers great views of Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea.
The Whistling Frog Resort - The Catlins
- If you bring your dog’s bed with you, this resort is well worth a visit as they even allow pets inside the accommodation and camping areas.
- The area offers beautiful beaches, bush walks and many other amazing attractions for you to experience with your dog by your side!
Kinross Cottages - Queenstown
- Just a short drive outside of Queenstown is the Kinross Cottages a pet friendly cottage accommodation nestled amongst the mountains.
- The owners are dog lovers and the resident dog Skye, welcomes all guests, four legged and two with a wagging tail.
- They offer advice on all the best places to explore with your furry friend.
It’s great that New Zealand is becoming more pet friendly! Remember to help keep the trend positive by being a responsible dog owner. Respect others by picking up after your dog and keeping your dog under control.
What are you waiting for? Grab some travel essentials for you and your pet and hit the road!
Written by The Pet.co.nz
Written by The Pet.co.nz Team
A team of specialists with backgrounds in animal nursing, animal care, and all things pet related.