The Top 10 Vitamins And Supplements For Dogs
Health and Wellbeing
Our pets may not be getting all the nutrients they need from their diet alone as most of our pets get fed the same food for most of their lives. That is where supplements come in! They contain specific vitamins and minerals to help you fill those gaps or address certain health concerns such as arthritis, sensitive skin or digestive issues. Here's the info you need on supplements that could benefit your dog's health.
The most common supplement for pets is glucosamine or chondroitin. Glucosamine is found naturally in the fluid around the joints and is vital in building cartilage. This product is naturally found in the shells of shellfish. Glucosamine supplements are readily available in both liquid and powder form such as the Nutreats Vitals Hip & Joint Supplement.
- Glucosamine has an anti-inflammatory effect so helps to reduce joint pain.
- It can be effective in improving mobility and treating arthritis.
- Alleviate pain and joint wear caused by hip dysplasia or other structural changes.
- Ease recovery from joint surgery.
- Try to keep performance dogs such as agility dogs in peak condition.
The second most common supplement for dogs is fish oil. Fish oil has high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA . These fatty acids can only be made in a limited capacity by dogs so it can be helpful to give your dog a boost by adding a fish oil supplement. There are many sorts of fish oil on the market from Salmon Oils like the Omega Plus King Salmon Oil or Hoki Oil like Newflands Hoki Oil.
Contains EPA a natural anti-inflammatory that helps with inflammation of the heart, kidney or joint inflammation conditions such as arthritis.
Eases skin inflammation due to allergies & reduce the occurrence of hot spots.
Promotes a shiny coat and helps to reduce coat shedding.
Beneficial for puppies to assist with healthy brain and eye development.
Can be used to increase your dog's appetite or help fussy dogs eat their food by adding a delicious fish flavour.
With the increase of popularity of probiotics as a supplement for humans, its little wonder that these supplements are becoming popular for our dog's too! 70% of your dog's immune system is in its gut, so it is important to keep your dog's digestive system running at its best. Some good options are ProVida Canine Digest-Aid With Probiotics or Vetafarm Synbiotic.
- Support your dog's digestions.
- Improve breath
- Helps to ensure your dog can properly absorb vitamins and minerals.
- Reduces allergic symptoms by strengthening and boosting your dog's immune system.
- Relive constipation and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Helpful for recovery from an upset stomach or diarrhoea and reduce gas.
- Especially helpful for use after your pet has been on antibiotics.
If your dog's diet does not have enough fibre it can be helpful to add a natural fibre supplement such as ProVida Flax Seed Flake.
- Clear up issues with constipation, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome and other issues the gastrointestinal system
- Fibre is bulky and helps dogs to feel more full, so it is helpful in dog's trying to lose weight.
- Adding fibre helps dogs to have firmer stools which can help to avoid anal gland issues.
Green Lipped Mussel
The green-lipped mussel is one of the largest mussels, that is only found in the waters around New Zealand. This super-food contains large amounts of EPA, DHA and ETA as well as being a source of naturally occurring glucosamine and chondroitin. A product like Silberhorn PetMussel or ProVida Canine NZ Green Lipped Mussel contains glycosaminoglycans, that has joint protective properties.
Contains EPA, DHA and ETA to improve joint health and can be used as a preventative maintenance especially in large breed dogs or dogs with congenital joint conditions.
A superfood packed with natural nutrients and antioxidants.
Omega 3s work to reduce the level of inflammation associated with diseases such as arthritis.
This supplement is particularly useful in improving mobility in older dogs.
Kelp is a type of seaweed and is one of the most nutritious sea vegetables as it contains over 60 different minerals and trace elements. It's a great natural way to provide more minerals to your dog's body and has a nourishing effect on the body as a whole. The reason kelp contains this wide range of nutrients is because of their ability to absorb minerals directly from ocean water. It also contains iodine which is essential for healthy thyroid function as well as high levels of iron to support circulation. A popular supplement that is high in Kelp is Pet Kelp Well Being Formula.
- Naturally rich in iodine to support healthy thyroid function, speeding up the metabolism and helping with weight loss.
- Reduces itchiness in dogs with skin allergies
- Improves overall skin and coat condition.
- Naturally helps to repel fleas from your dog.
- Contains high levels of amino acids and protein to improve the immune system and aid in the healing process.
Multivitamins such as Blackmores PAW Wellness + Vitality can be helpful for dogs that are raw fed, eat a home-prepared diet or are just extremely picky eaters. By adding a multivitamin supplement you can avoid any vitamin deficiencies in your dog. The best way to choose a dog multivitamin is to talk to your veterinarian about what, if any, dog vitamin supplements your dog needs.
- Helps to support overall wellness
- Contains essential vitamins and minerals.
- Particularly useful for ensuring pets on homemade or raw diets get all the vitamins and nutrients they need.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar such as ProVida Apple Cider Vinegar is a must-have supplement for dogs as it has natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal benefits. Its a good all-round supplement having benefits for digestion and the absorption of vitamins and minerals. g
- A natural anti-fungal and antiseptic great for itchy or flaking skin or hot spots.
- Great natural shampoo to remove odours from your pet's coat.
- Can be added to food to boost the immune system.
- Improving digestion by balancing pH levels in a dog’s body
MSM is a great natural supplement for dogs with joint problems. It is an organic sulphur-containing compound that is well known for enhancing the structural integrity of connective tissue, which can help reduce scar tissue and strengthen joints. This compound can also act as a natural pain reliever. In addition to aiding joint pain and stiffness, MSM’s anti-inflammatory properties make it popular for treating digestive disorders, arthritis, eye problems and chronic inflammatory diseases. It can be found in a range of hip and joint supplements such as the Animology Hip Joint & Flex supplement.
- A natural analgesic (pain reliever) that is helpful for dogs with chronic pain.
- Enhances the structural integrity of connective tissues.
- Reduces scar tissue and strengthen joints so is useful in the treatment of arthritis.
Flax Seed Oil
Flax Seed Oil is one of nature's richest sources of Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids. It contains higher levels of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) than fish oil, has natural antioxidant properties. A good Flax Seed Oil option is For The Love Of Animals Flax Seed Oil.
- Flaxseed oil can be used to treat chronic inflammatory disorders.
- Promote optimum coat health and mobility, as well as supporting the immune, circulatory and digestive systems.
- Contains higher levels of ALA than fish oil.
- Natural food supplement for dogs, cats & horses.
So if you are concerned that your dog may not be getting everything it needs from its diet, it can be a good idea to start adding a vitamin or supplement specially designed for dogs to their diet. If you want to fix an ongoing health concern or medical condition, it's always best to consult your vet before adding a vitamin or supplement to your pet's diet.